“Today, Double 11 has long been not only a Tmall festival, but also a grand festival for businesses and consumers throughout China and the world. It is also a grand tour of global business power and has become an Olympic in the business field” said Daniel Zhang, CEO of Alibaba Group
It is reported that the Double 11 in 2018 is not only the last double 11 before Jack Ma retires but also the first Double 11 of Jing Jie as the president of Tmall. He said that it can’t be said that there is no pressure, but there is definitely more excitement. Also, let us review the achievements of Tmall Double 11:
- 2009 GMV: 52 million yuan. In 2009, Taobao Mall established the first double 11 and created a “full discount of 50% off the national mail package”, with a total of 27 brands participating. At that time, the average daily GMV of Taobao Mall was 8 million yuan, while the double 11 created a GMV of up to 52 million yuan.
- 2010 GMV: 936 million yuan. Taobao Mall held a new launch and strategy conference in Beijing, launched a new independent domain name: www.tmall.com. At that time, the total 11 GMV of the double 11 exceeded 100 million, and the GMV of 28 brands exceeded 1 million.
- 2011 GMV: 5.2 billion yuan. There are already 2,200 stores participating. The total transaction amount exceeded 100 million yuan in the first 8 minutes after the start, and exceeded 1 billion yuan in 10 hours. The number of transactions with Alipay reached 100 million.
- 2012 GMV: 19.1 billion yuan. Taobao Mall officially changed its name to “Tmall”. The first double 11 held under the “Tmall” brand began to have a “pre-sale” model, allowing consumers to place orders weeks before the event. In just 13 hours, it broke the total transaction amount of 10 billion yuan.
- 2013 GMV: 35 billion yuan. Breaking through the 2012 transaction volume in just 13 hours.
- This year also opened a new system layout for the Tmall supply chain, ensuring that imported goods can be purchased directly from the origin of online shopping consumers. In that year, “fruit is still on the tree, you can place an order” to break the traditional supply chain spot management model.
- 2014 GMV: 57.1 billion yuan. Alibaba Group’s first double 11 after listing on the NYSE opened the All-in mobile strategy. In the same year, the mobile terminal account of double 11 reached 42.6%.
- 2015 GMV: 91.2 billion yuan. In 2015, Tmall Double 11 officially became the “Double 11 Global Carnival” and held the first double 11 countdown party in Beijing. The multi-screen interactive gameplay of smartphones at the party has achieved a new attempt to reconstruct the consumption and entertainment modes.
- 2016 GMV: 120.7 billion yuan. In 2016, the Tmall double 11 transaction volume exceeded the symbolic figure of 111.1 billion yuan for the first time. The overseas transaction volume reached 1.1 billion yuan, achieving the “Buy Globally, Sell Globally”. Alibaba Cloud’s cloud computing and big data technologies process up to 175,000 orders and 120,000 payment transactions per second during Double 11.
- 2017 GMV: 168.2 billion yuan. In 2017, Tmall double 11 new retail year, presented a big carnival of online and offline linkage. 1 million businesses online and offline, covering 50 offline business districts, nearly 100,000 smart stores. In the same year, the AI designer “Luban”, the robot customer service “Ali Xiaomi”, and Cainiao robot have penetrated into all aspects of the Tmall Double 11 Global Carnival. Double 11 has also become the largest human-machine collaboration in human history.
The global highlights of 2017 Double 11 also include:
- Chinese consumers can purchase products from 60,000 international brands;
- In 2017, the transaction volume of Double 11 covered 225 countries and regions around the world;
- There were 167 brand businesses with a daily turnover of 100 million yuan (about 15.1 million US dollars), of which 17 sales exceeded 500 million yuan (about 75.4 million US dollars), and 6 sales exceeded 1 billion yuan. (about $150.9 million US dollars).
Ranked among the top five countries in terms of sales to China are Japan, the United States, Australia, Germany, and South Korea.
MORE ON THIS TOPIC